Support for Student Parents

There are several funding options for parents and/or carers that are studying through college, university or other learning institutes. Each individual’s circumstances are different so we highly advise you look through all funding options first as well as other types of financial support like Universal Credit.

You may get a better deal by looking at all your options!

If you are aged under 20 at the start of your course, Care to Learn helps with the costs of
your childcare so that you can continue your education or training.
You can get up to £160 per week per child in most places in England and up to £175 in
London. Funding is also available to cover childcare deposits and registration fees. Care to
Learn will only pay towards Ofsted registered childcare.

Discretionary Learner Support Fund

If you are aged 20 or over and studying on a college course, the Discretionary Learner
Support Fund may be able to help you with a variety of costs, including childcare. The
amount of funding available will vary for each college.
You can apply for these funds at your college by speaking to the student support or welfare

For further information about courses for which you could receive funding contact the
National Careers Service on 0800 100 900

You may be able to get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to
19 and in further education. It can be used to pay for things like:
► clothing, books and other equipment for your course
► transport and lunch on days you study or train

Want to go back?

Use these buttons to go back to other pages relating to funding!