SEN specific funding

There are a variety of funding and financial support options for families whose children have special educational needs. To make this page easier to read we have shortened special educational needs to “SEN”.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If your child has SEN you may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (“DLA” for short).

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

How much you’ll get

The DLA rate is between £24.45 and £156.90 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs.

If your do receive DSL our setting can apply for Disability Access Fund (“DAF” for short) that can allow us to secure funding for specific resources, equipment and staff so your child can get all the support and care they need whilst at nursery.

Tax-Free Childcare

If you get Tax-Free Childcare, you’ll set up an online childcare account for your child. For every £8 you pay into this account, the government will pay in £2 to use to pay your provider.

You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if you’re eligible for both.

You can check your eligibility for Tax-Free Childcare and find out more information here: Tax-Free Childcare on the Government Website

How much you’ll get

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every 3 months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year).

If you would like more information on funding in general, please go to our funding page!